Thursday, February 17, 2011

Now I think about the day and how it ended---My Molcajete and my dog Rhino



My Molcajete and my dog Rhino

I know it sounds CRAZY—but it all goes together ---------Let me explain
First the- molcajete it is made with natural volcanic stone offers a grinding surface. The molcajete is used with the included tejolote, or pestle. A molcajete is a must-have tool for authentic moles, salsas and fresh guacamole. The molcajete that I have belonged to my mother who passed away in 1999 I found it when I was cleaning
my mothers house in 2004 when my father (died in April 2004) and my brother Dennis (died in Nov2004) passed away. I was going thru some boxes that someone had packed and left in the garage. Everything that belonged to my mother was packed in boxes, including clothes, china, jewelry, a bible that belonged to my father and coins galore.
You can just imagine on how I felt when I started to open each box it was like someone did not care about what my parents had left behind. I open each and every box and found several cherish items that my mother loved….a green glass vase that she always had on her bedroom dresser, several religious statues that she also had in her bedroom, my fathers bible with the holder, and then I saw it the molcajete.
When I unpacked the molcajete it felt like my mother was in the garage with me. I can not even explain how DIRTY the garage and the house was….I felt ashamed of how my mother’s house was left, but that’s another story.
Ok ---the molcajete was taken back to my house in Corpus Christi, then we moved several times bought and sold houses then we moved to Laredo TX. The molcajete and several other items that belonged to my parents have been traveling with me for the pass 6 years and now my molcajete is has a place in my kitchen blue counter. The green glass vase has a place in my drama red dining room that is furnish with my mother’s dining room furniture.
I still have several boxes that have items that belonged to my parents that I need to give away, BUT it is hard to do. I know I need to let it go...I WILL I WILL one day….
I see my mothers items everyday and I think about on a daily basis...she was the funniest person I knew , she would make the whole room laugh with her jokes and her laughter and her molcajete is being used on a daily basis I love salsa… I now have the molcajete surrounded by beautiful Mexican women carry baskets and flowers.
Now I will explain about our dog Rhino he was a west highland white terrier that we purchased about 12 years ago.
As most of you know Rhino was my husband baby boy he followed Rick everywhere I mean everywhere, even to the bathroom and for the first couple of years Rick would take Rhino to his office until he started wandering away and he always spend the night on top of our bed. On Sunday Feb 6, 2011 Rhino was breathing heavy and we knew something was not right he had been coughing the past couple of days, Rick gave him some medication and he went to sleep and he seemed to be OK and we had agreed we would take him to the vet on Monday morning. Our veterinary is not open on weekends and does not make emergency calls during the weekend, any emergency we would have to drive to San Antonio or Corpus Christi.
The Super Bowl football game was going to start and Rick wanted a spread of snacks, so I made some tacos, dips and made some fresh salsa using fresh Chile Pequin Wild Peppers from a plant that that is growing in my backyard. While I was making the salsa in the molcajete I felt something /or someone around me. The aroma of the salsa made me think of my mother of how she made the same salsa I was making. I smelled the salsa again and I could feel my mother’s presence in my kitchen. I felt at peace, I did not let Rick know of how I was feeling I was worried about Rhino and I had been telling Rick that Rhino looks old and tired and he needed to be prepared of when Rhino dies.
The day ended and Rick carried Rhino up the stairs and laid him on our bed, Max our 125lb dog and Henry my rescued one eye cat followed up the stairs.
We all went to sleep and around 2ish I felt Rhino jump off the bed I woke up and woke up Rick.
Rick carried him downstairs to go outside and do his thing, Rhino walked back in the living room and collapsed, Rick picked him up and carried up the stairs and turn on my bedside lamp and told me that Rhino was dying…… we covered him with a towel and Rick was holding like a baby and we both started to cry. Rhino died that night in Rick’s arms while I was holding Rick…
Max and Henry were also a wake and knew something happen, we laid Rhino next to Max in his bed and Max put his head next to his body and he seemed to know what happen, he laid his head down and moaned
Now I think about that day and how it ended----with my mother’s presence she was here to confront me and to take our dog with her.

Dolores Gonzalez Jarvis

No comments:

Post a Comment

My age

January 13,2023 64 yrs old. My Birthday is the Friday the 13!And-the first breath I take, the opening of my eyes, I feel I received a gift ...