Wednesday, May 23, 2012


The life of artist Frida Kahlo--from her complex and enduring relationship with her mentor and husband, Diego Rivera, to her illicit and controversial affair with Leon Trotsky, to her provocative romantic entanglements with women, Frida lived a bold and uncompromising life as a political, artistic, and sexual revolutionary.
The life of artist Frida Kahlo--from her complex and enduring relationship with her mentor and husband, Diego Rivera, to her illicit andBy now half of the Americas must have heard the tale of the girl from Coyocán who was injured in a horrendous trolley accident, miraculously survived to become a painter and married the famous Mexican muralist, Diego Rivera. Today the legends of her passion for Diego, his betrayals, her love affairs and her sufferings are repeated as if they were the Stations of the Cross. Frida Kahlo iconography began years ago with books and postcards and now includes buttons, posters, tote bags, sequined patches, bejeweled altars and statuettes. 
Frida and the legend of her suffering have taken on a power that sometimes seems to exceed everything else.Many of Kahlo's works are responses to Mexican folk art in one way or another. Kahlo was barely more than a schoolgirl when she met and married the already acclaimed Rivera, who was twice her age. Long before meeting Kahlo, Rivera had served his artistic apprenticeship in Mexico City, then spent more than a decade in Europe, where he established himself as a cubist in the avant-garde circle that included Pablo Picasso, Georges Braque and Juan Gris. He was back in Mexico, working as a muralist and creating--with his friends--the artistic idiom and philosophy that came to be known as the Mexicanidad movement, when he became involved Kahlo.
Kahlo was 30 and had been married to Rivera for seven passionate years.
Kahlo is most known for the images she painted of herself. "I paint self portraits because I am so often alone," she famously explained.
 I use colors, patterns and textures to tell my compelling stories that evoke different times and places throughout my life. What is most unique about my mosaic/collage style is that I am fascinated by life and death so most of my work revolves around Dia De Los Muertos, Frida Kahlo and Virgen de Guadalupe.
My Dia De Los Muertos items are colorful and reminders that dying is only the beginning of our life. Frida Kahlo items are a reminder of all the tribulations and suffering one goes thru in life. Virgen de Guadalupe items The Lady of Guadalupe has always been a part of my Mexican heritage I am constantly compelled to show her in my art it doesn't matter if you believe in her or not, I can always turn to her and she will help.

My current offering includes decorative mosaic art, decoupage wall hangings and boxes.
I create all one-of-a -kind pieces by hand in my home studio in Laredo, Texas. 




































No comments:

Post a Comment

My age

January 13,2023 64 yrs old. My Birthday is the Friday the 13!And-the first breath I take, the opening of my eyes, I feel I received a gift ...